Daph asked me a tough question the other day. Would i recommend Tash Aw's Map of the Invisible World? Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm ~

My answer ... i would not, to her. And why?

First of all, i wasn't exactly keen to read it. The premise did not actually capture my fancy. But it was an 'assignment' so i forced myself to read a bit while waiting to collect my new passport. (2 hours)

Somewhere, somehow, he got me. I'm still halfway through the book, taking my own sweet time. Honestly, i've found it increasingly hard to read books of such nature, heavy like a ton of bricks. And, his writing style was hard for me to get into. Dunno how to put a finger on it, it is hard la.

That doesn't mean i don't like it, though. Many years ago a certain AS recommended The Catcher in The Rye, which i didn't exactly like, but it stayed with me and it still lives in me and i still feel some of the ideas it brought about. Did i like it? It's not entertaining and fun. Yet, i care enough to be curious when a sequel is written. i cared enough to read Esme. i cared enough to reread it. And i cared enough to tell people about the love-hate experience it gave me - this book that makes me think about other things, and gives me new understanding and another point-of-view. Out of nowhere, reluctantly read.

Since i'm still halfway through the book, i remain doubtful if this will be a similar experience. Of course, i would be gauche to compare Aw to Salinger, which i'm not. Nor can he be put side by side with Pramoedya Ananta Toer. However, i may still experience the effects on a smaller scale. Questions pop up in my head, that i cannot answer and am shy to ask because i may sound stupid. But ... is Indonesia being used as a mirror and a juxtapose to Malaysia or opposite? Is the book, Aw's map of the invisible world? What really was it like to live through those years? How strange that it was a small chapter in our history books.

Second reason, doesn't entertain but stimulates the brain way too much.

Do i like it? Can only say later, when i'm done reading it. At this moment, i can only describe it as a powerful read, one which does not allow me to give up reading it. i want to know, not the outcome, but the process. Yup, it's that kind of book. SO, if you care for that - i would recommend it.

SONG FOR A MOOD
Ripples/Leen-yi - Chet Lam. Part of Once in the Lifetime soundtrack, a musical that featured some of the late Danny Chan's works. Ripples created by the appearance of someone. This is what the song means. Poetic and simple. This song represents much of Chan's works. The crystal clear voice and the contemporary feel. Thanks to Chet Lam, we can once again feel deep joy in these songs without the additional tang of sadness and nostalgia. Powerful in its own way, creating ripples like the book i am reading.

Comments (0)