Yes, I know, it's the title of a book but this Annie (who is a writer, singer, lyricist, actress), has nothing to do with Nancy Garden. She's the multi-talented Annie Yi, who so happens to be very pretty, too.

Well, I've recently been obsessed with cataloguing my music collection, and have today decided to put in all my Harlem Yu cds. Unfortunately, as a natural progression, I thought since I only had a couple of Annie Yi's I'd do that next.

I didn't know of their relationship, of course when I stumbled upon Annie's cover album 百樂門小艷紅之快活歌 and thought, wow here's another cover album I may like. Ironically, I was into cover music because of Harlem's Night Club, but let's not split hairs. At first, I was quite unused, even put off by her voice - if you look around now, they are so many who sound like that - a little girl's voice, high pitched and small. But as I listened, because the selection of songs and arrangement were really good, I realised that she had so much skill. With my little knowledge about her, I looked around and found some information and discovered her writing, and film (which I never got to watch) ... then I read that she and Harlem were a couple.

Her next two albums, I treasure too. Both representing the Annie Yi that people should see, beyond the pretty face. She's cool.

Then her divorce and the ensuing scandal which led to her being banned in China. All at once, she seems to have dropped out of the Chinese entertainment scene.

But today, I found a lovely article online talking about her musical career and I could not but agree with the author of that piece, that we can never know what conspired in her life and should not judge her, and I'd like to add - just judge her quality of work. After all, we also hope that our bosses do that, too.

I wonder too if we will get to hear or see this strong Annie Yi soon.



Comments (0)